Kenneth R. Jacobs oversees the firm’s real estate and business law practice. He has over thirty years of experience in commercial leasing, mortgage financing, sales and acquisitions, and syndication or transactional real estate. He is an acknowledged contributor to Emanuel Harper’s Shopping Center and Store Leases, the nationally recognized work in the field, and has taught as an Adjunct Professor at Cardozo Law School.
Mr. Jacobs has emerged as a leading authority in cooperative and condominium practice. Based on his extensive experience representing both sponsors and tenants through the conversion process, Mr. Jacobs has a solid understanding of the interests of all parties in condominium offerings and establishment of a stable community association. He is the former President of the Southern New York Chapter of the Community Associations Institute, a national educational and advocacy organization representing the interest of community associations, and also serves on the Joint New York State and City Bar Committee dealing with the ongoing review and modification of the Condominium Act, as well as special subcommittees reviewing the form of proprietary lease, procedures for filing condominium declarations, and condominium and cooperative taxation.
Mr. Jacobs frequently contributes to trade publications dealing with the cooperative and condominium community in such areas as enforcement of association rights, indemnification of officers and directors, environmental regulation, subleasing, and current topical issues. He has been cited frequently in media and print, such as The New York Times, The Cooperator, and Habitat Magazine, in connection with his work.
Mr. Jacobs’ business law practice includes organization and structuring of business entities, negotiation of joint ventures, operating agreements, shareholder and partnership arrangements, and ongoing business and employment agreements.
Publications and Appearances
- “Condominium Declaration“, Habitat Magazine, Habitat Magazine (November 2017)
- “Keep Detailed Records”, The Habitat Attorney Survey 2012, Habitat Magazine (November 2012)
- “First Department Overrules Decision on Claims Against Condo/Co-op Directors”, New York Real Estate Law Reporter (Vol. 28, No. 11 September 2012)
- “Home Away from Home”, Habitat Magazine Podcast (July 25, 2012)
- “Board Confidentiality”, Habitat Magazine Podcast (June 24, 2011)
Professional Associations and Activities
- Member, New York State Bar Association
- J.D., New York University School of Law
- B.A., with honors, Wesleyan University