Whether litigating a complex commercial dispute or negotiating a business transaction, my client expects, and is entitled to receive, legal counsel that is honest, cost-efficient and in keeping with the client’s strategic vision.
Jacob Amir has over twenty years experience in government and the private sector, representing contractors and developers, real estate stakeholders, businesses and municipalities on commercial, construction, real estate and employment matters. Jacob’s successful experiences as lead trial counsel and transactional counsel helps guide his clients needing zealous courtroom advocacy and/or complex business counseling.
In addition to practicing law, Jacob sits on a local Zoning Board of Appeals, is an Adjunct in the Paralegal Studies Program at Pace University Graduate Center, and for several years, was a championship winning little league coach.
- Obtained trial decision securing shareholders’ interests in a corporation and voiding a fraudulent deed, restoring a large parcel of land fraudulently diverted from the corporation.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of a commercial tenant’s claim for money damages and declaratory judgment regarding the enforceability of a ground lease, paving the way for negotiations on the successful sale of the commercial property.
- Successfully defended a contractor in a construction arbitration as to an owner’s claim for significant attorneys’ fees.
- Represented a contractor against defect claims involving the $16,000,000 rehabilitation of a Manhattan brownstone.
- Secured a reversal on appeal from a lower Court’s decision denying a purchaser’s right to intervene and set aside a tax lien foreclosure of commercial real property.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement after bringing a federal civil rights action on behalf of twenty gas stations collectively challenging an administrative ruling regarding unemployment premium payments..
- Representing a minority shareholder in the dissolution of an environmental company and companion action for fraud, waste and misappropriation of assets.
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Committee on Law, Youth and Citizenship
- Member, Westchester County Bar Association
- Building Owners and Managers Association, Professional Member
- Associated General Contractors NYS, Associate Member
- "Subcontractors, Prevailing Wage and the Construction Fair Play Act " Cornerstone (Summer 2019)
- “Defining Substantial Completion for Lien Law and Contract Purpose” Cornerstone (Summer 2018)
- “One Individual, Two Process Servers and Two Physical Descriptions: A Litigator’s Thoughts” The Liberty (November 2017)
- “A Review of Takings Under Kelo v. New London” Westchester Bar Journal (V.32 No. 2)
- Spring 2020 – teaching seminar course on civil procedure in the Paralegal Studies program, held at Pace Law School. Jacob has taught this course for the last several years, as well as courses on corporations and essential legal skills.
- March 2020 – interview (with special counsel Nancy Durand) on WVOX, discussing the firm’s practice and the Westchester business community.
- October 3 and 4, 2019 – participant in the New York State Bar Association’s Committee on Youth, Law and Citizenship, which addresses how school districts can better address student and faculty and mental health and substance abuse issues.